Happy New Year! I hope you enjoyed your 4-H experiences in 2012 and are gearing up for an awesome 2013!
With a new year comes a new way of communicating with Cherry County 4-H families. I will be sending out a Cherry County 4-H Alert on a weekly or bi monthly basis (depending on the need). These updates will also be available on our website at http://cherry.unl.edu/cherrycounty4h
Thank you 4-Hers! We had a great turn out for the Luck of the Draw collection yesterday. I appreciate your willingness to seek the donations and make the phone calls for our yearly fundraiser. Also, thank you, drivers. Your support is always appreciated.
- It’s time to start another year of Nebraska State 4-H Archery! The first State Tournament will be the 2013 Nebraska State Indoor 300 Tournament in Columbus on January 25th and 26th at Ag Park. Pre-registration is required. The main shooting line will be on Saturday, January 26th. There will also be available a Friday night line. It will be first come, first serve basis and is ONLY for shooters that absolutely cannot make it on Saturday. The registration form can be found at http://4h.unl.edu/web/4h/shootingevents. Please e-mail the form to Elgin Bergt at firstname.lastname@example.org . Or you can mail them to: Archery-Elgin Bergt, 855 Road 7, Schuyler, NE 68661. Any questions, feel free to contact Elgin Bergt at 402-352-5908. Registration deadline is January 15.
- A Nebraska 4-H Shooting Sports Leader Certification Workshop has been scheduled for January 19-20, 2013, at the Dawes County Fairgrounds in Chadron. Registration deadline is January 8th. Adult volunteers and junior leaders can choose one of four disciplines to become certified. Muzzleloading, Rifle, Hunting Skills, and Pistol will be offered. Registration fee is $50 per person for initial certification or those that are adding an additional discipline. This fee includes supplies and program materials but not meals. Participants must make their own lodging arrangements. Scholarships are available from the Cherry County 4-H Council. Please contact the Extension Office for more information. Registration forms can be found at http://4h.unl.edu/web/4h/shootingevents.
- A series of three FREE, live web-based programs have been designed to benefit 4-H volunteers and parents as they learn best practices to engage 4-H groups in community programs.
Explore the benefits and barriers of youth engagement and learn how positive relationships can grow from youth/adult partnerships. Develop strategies and techniques to implement directly with the youth, parents, and volunteers you work with. Register online at: http://4h.unl.edu/givingyourbestwebseminars. Once you are registered you will receive an email with the webinar link and additional information related to each program. Participate from your OWN home or anywhere you have access to the internet. Each program will meet on-line for 45 minutes to help connect parents and volunteers to pertinent youth development knowledge.
Choose to participate in one or all of 3-different web-based programs on the following dates from Noon to 12:45 p.m. CST or from 7:00 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. CST.
January 22, 2013 Engage Every Parent: Strategies for Success
January 29, 2013 Engage Youth through Active Learning
February 5, 2013 Engaging Youth-Adult Partnerships
- It’s time to toot your own horn! Applications are being accepted for the January 4-H Club of the Month until Friday, January 11th. If time is short, start on this for the February application. This is an opportunity to be acknowledged for your achievements, service projects, and awards! Winners will receive a $50 check from the Nebraska 4-H Foundation and will be recognized state wide! Applications can be found at http://www.ne4hfoundation.org/resources/4-h-club-of-the-month .
- If you are planning to show Market Beef for the 2013 4-H year there are two options for the required I.D. and weigh-in. Weigh-in dates are February 23rd or February 24th at Valentine Livestock Auction from 2:00 -3:00 pm, CT. Calves need to be 4-H tagged prior to weigh-in. ID sheets, bills of sale and ear tags need to be picked up at the Extension Office. Tags will cost $1.25 each. If you have ear tags from last year, or tags still in from a feeder calf project, those will be okay unless you plan on exhibiting at the Nebraska State Fair or Ak-Sar-Ben. Bill of Sale and ID sheets must be turned in at the time you weigh. Make sure you have all required signatures. If you are planning to show at Ak-Sar-Ben or State Fair, DNA hair samples will need to be collected. Cost for each DNA sample is $6. Please share this information with any new youth that might be considering a Market Beef project, but haven’t enrolled in 4-H yet.
- A new opportunity will be available in Cherry County for 4-Hers interested in the breeding heifer project. This will be the Sandhills Production Class. It will be a two year project. 4-Hers will show a breeding heifer in a special class in 2013 at the county fair and in 2014 the same heifer will be shown with her calf. Details will come at a later time, but I wanted to give you a heads-up as you are sorting and deciding what to keep for replacement heifers.