January 31, 2013
Celebrate Nebraska 4-H Month with events held during the Heart City Bull Bash
Nearly 200 4-H members and 75 volunteers are involved in Cherry County 4-H. The month of February is Nebraska 4-H Month, and Cherry County is celebrating by hosting the annual 4-H “Luck of the Draw” fundraiser. On February 9th at 10:00 am at the Cedar Canyon Steakhouse, local 4-H youth and leaders will connect with the community to raise funds for the Cherry County 4-H program. These funds support 4-H programming, trophies, awards, scholarships, exhibitor t-shirts, and 4-H project manuals.
- Are you ready for adventure? Take part in the 4-H Scavenger Hunt! All youth are welcome to participate in the fun-filled 4-H Scavenger Hunt. Participants will meet in the banquet area of the Cedar Canyon Steakhouse at 11:30 to get instructions. Teams will use navigation, location and “prove you were there clues” (all located on Main Street) to find the treasure. Prizes will be awarded. Be sure to dress warm!
- Adults and youth interested in learning about beef retail cuts are encouraged to attend the meat cutting demonstration. UNL Extension Educators, Jay Jenkins and Bethany Johnston will demonstrate the Chuck Roll Value Cuts. They will demonstrate newer ways of cutting steaks based on muscle profiling research and today’s bigger beef carcasses. This will take place in the Cedar Canyon Steakhouse at 1 pm.
- Support 4-H Luck of the Draw. Tickets may be purchased on Saturday, February 9th from 10:00 am to 4 pm in the Banquet Hall of Cedar Canyon Steakhouse. Ticket prices are 10 tickets for $10.00 or 30 tickets for $25.00. Choose from the many items you would like to take home and place your tickets in that item’s draw pot for a chance at winning. Ticket sales close at 4 pm and winners will be announced beginning at 4:30 pm.
- Pre-ticket sales will be offered for the Luck of the Draw. 4-Hers can stop by the Extension Office to pick up packets. Pre-sale tickets will only be sold through February 6. This is a great opportunity to sell tickets to those individuals that might be short of time the day of the Bull Bash. 4-Hers will be responsible for all the tickets that they pick up for pre-sale. Any unsold tickets will need to be returned to the Extension Office. The 4-H Council will provide two movie passes to the top pre-sale ticket seller.
- 2013 Invitational BB Gun and Sporter Air Rifle Match will be held at the Rushville American Legion in Rushville on February 10. Entries start at 8 am and close at 11 am. Entry fees are $10 per event. Contact the office for a flyer with complete details or contact match coordinator Kevin Jech at (308) 327-2230.
- Attention Horse Lovin’ Kids: the Lady Wranglers want youth to be a part of their riding group. They are welcoming you to their practices and to be a part of their drill team. One of their requirements is that you must have passed 4-H Horsemanship Advancement Level II. To get your questions answered or to find out more information contact Jolene Grunhaupt at 402-389-0473.
2013 Nebraska Photography Themes
The 2013 Nebraska Theme classes are structured to encourage 4-Hers to explore potential careers in photography.
- Unit II- NEBRASKA PHOTOGRAPHY CAREER EXHIBIT PRINT: Explore a career as a Nebraska photographer. The goal of an artistic photographer is to portray a unique or interesting image through their work. Capture photos of Nebraska landscapes where creative composition is the goal.
Unit III-NEBRASKA PHOTOGRAPHY CAREER EXHIBIT PRINT: Explore a career as a Nebraska photographer. Portrait photographers specialize in individual or family portraits. Capture photos of individuals or groups of people and consider creative locations or props for your photo shoots.
- Market Beef Weigh In – February 23 or 24, 2:00-3:00 pm at the Valentine Livestock Auction. Don’t forget to get your tags, ID sheets and Bill of Sale from the Extension Office!
- Speech Contest – April 20 – complete details coming soon
- 4-H Open House & Kick-off Event – April 26 – complete details will be available soon