Clover Kid Fun Days
- Mark your calendars for three fun filled Clover Kid days.
Monday June 3 – 10 -12 at the Cherry County Fairgrounds – RSVP by May 31
Thursday June 13 – 10 – 12 at the Valentine City Park, meet at the Park Pavilion – RSVP by June 11
Thursday July 11 – 10 – 12 TBA – RSVP by July 9
All area youth, ages 5-7, are encouraged to attend. 4-H enrollment is not a requirement to participate, so bring your friends. We will be exploring projects in A Space for Me, Road to Good Cooking and Just Outside the Door. Clover Kids will go home with projects that will be ready to enter into the Cherry County Fair. Fee for materials and snacks is $3 for each day. Register by calling the Extension Office at 402-376-1850 or email Ben Shelbourn at email@example.com Make sure to wear clothes that are “everyday” and can be stained.
Small Animal Clinic
- Shannon Ahlman, last year’s County Fair judge, will be hosting a Small Animal Clinic for Cherry County 4-Hers. The clinic will be held at the Cherry County Fairgrounds on June 10 starting at 10 am. Shannon will be presenting a host of information and will also work with you on Showmanship. Bring your animals with you. RSVP to the Extension Office by June 7.
- 4-Hers are invited to attend a photography workshop with Duane Gudgel and Darlene Meyer on Tuesday, June 18. All experience levels are welcome, but the main emphasis will be in the projects Focus on Photography and Controlling the Image. The workshop will be from 2-5pm. Meeting location will be announced soon. Please RSVP to the Extension Office at 402-376-1850 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Horse Project Reminder
- The Cherry County 4-H Horse Committee is conducting four opportunities to allow 4-H Horse project members to practice their riding skills and work on completing all aspects of Advancement Levels I, II, and III testing requirements, including riding skills tests, written tests, demonstrations, reports, etc. RSVP to the Office by the indicated date is required. All events will be in Valentine at the Fairgrounds. The schedule is:
May 28 – Practice & Levels Testing- 6 PM CT – RSVP by May 24
June 4 – Clinic & Show with Kay Fred – 4 PM CT – RSVP by May 30
June 12 – Practice & Levels Testing – 6 PM CT – RSVP by June 10
July 16 – Practice & Levels Testing – 6 PM CT – RSVP by July 14
Be sure to bring along your 4-H Horse Advancement Levels book.
- All livestock, including breeding heifers, stocker feeders, cow/calf pairs, FFA bulls, bucket calves, dairy, dairy and meat goats, breeding and market sheep, bottle lambs and swine must be tagged and ID forms turned in to the Extension Office no later than June 15. 4-H tags and ID sheets are available at the Extension Office. ID sheets are also available online. If you are considering showing at State Fair or Ak-Sar-Ben, DNA samples will need to be collected. 4-Hers are responsible for contacting a Livestock Committee member to inspect your animals and sign off on the ID sheet. Livestock committee members include: Brent Collier (425-3333), Cody Gale (823-4147), Debbi Hoffman (967-3028), RJ Luthy (376-1128), Eric Ravenscroft (376-2332) and Shane Wobig (308-684-3573). Call any of these members to schedule an appointment.
Cherry County 4-H Family Livestock Judging Contest & Quality Assurance
- The Cherry County 4-H Program invites all 4-H families interested in spending time together and evaluating livestock to attend the Cherry County 4-H Family Livestock Judging Contest. This is an awesome opportunity for inter-generational interaction. 4-H clubs and individuals are also welcome to take part in this family event!
Livestock judging allows 4-H & FFA members to improve their basic livestock evaluation/selection skills and provide a good foundation for decision making skills.
Mike Roeber, Northeast Community College Livestock Judging Team Coach will conduct a brief clinic on placing factors, terminology and oral reasons format at 6:00 pm.
Quality Assurance hands-on training will take place following the judging contest while results are tabulated.
DATE: Tuesday, June 25
TIME: Clinic: 6:00 pm: Registration 6:30 pm & Contest 7:00 pm
LOCATION: Valentine Livestock Auction
Divisions will include Clover Kid (5-7), Junior (8-10), Intermediate (11-13), Senior (14-18), Adult (19 & up). Teams will consist of three or more immediate family members. Team total scores will consist of the highest three scores from each family team.