June 4, 2013
NEW this year in the Healthy Lifestyles project areas we are adding a new event called Special Foods! In the Special Foods contest each participant will have 90 minutes to prepare a main dish for a meal and complete a place setting. During the preparation time the judge will observe and score on components including: measuring method, presentation of finished place setting, knowledge of nutrients and personal diet needs. This contest will be held in conjunction with clothing day.
We will be hosting a workshop that will prepare you for this new event. During the workshop you will learn: proper measuring, place settings, menu planning, nutritional requirements and proper attire for the event, as well as answer any questions that 4-Hers or parents may have. The workshop will be offered at the Cherry County 4-H Building on June 27th. This will be set up in two sessions with ages 8-12 participating from 10am to 1pm. The second session will be for 4-Hers age 13 and up and will be from 1 – 4 pm. A second workshop will also be offered at the Nenzel Community building on June 26th at 10 am MT, for all ages. Register for either of the workshops on or before June 19, by calling the Extension Office at 402-376-1850 or emailing Ben at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Valentine Community Garden
Everyone is invited to attend the Valentine Community Garden (VCG) Planting Day, tomorrow, June 5 at the VCG located just north of Comfort Inn on Main Street. Planting will begin at 5:30 PM. Plant boxes are available for families or individuals on a first come, first serve basis. “Youth” boxes will be used as well. Call the Extension Office if you have questions or stop by at 5:30 to help plant and learn what it is all about.
Be sure to check the past Alerts for complete details.
- Clover Kid Fun Day-Thursday, June 13 – 10 – 12 at the Valentine City Park, meet at the Park Pavilion; RSVP by June 11
- Small Animal Clinic-Monday, June 10 – Cherry County Fairgrounds; RSVP by June 7
- Photography Workshop – Tuesday, June 18; RSVP by June 14
- Horse Practice – Wednesday, June 12 – RSVP by June 10
- Livestock ID’s due June 15
- Livestock Judging and Quality Assurance – Tuesday, June 25 at Valentine Livestock Auction; clinic starting at 6:00 PM